LA Times article on RMC at Cedar Fair

The LA Times writes about RMC's presence at Mean Streak and rumored conversion of Kings Dominion's now-departed Hurler, then speculates about possible future projects in the chain. http://www.latimes.com/travel/themeparks/la-tr-rocky-mountain-cedar-point-kings-dominion-20161027-story.html

Not a bad article until it gets here:

Even Kings Island, which is preparing to open Mystic Timbers, has the notoriously rough and bumpy 1972 Racer that’s crying out for some RMC love.

• Like 6

That article was interesting to say the least. The author added a fair bit of his own opinion into the ride, such as the comment about The Racer.  While it is an interesting article to read, I wouldn`t put much faith in every Cedar Fair park eventually becoming home to a RMC ride.  If these rides have staying power, I could eventually see a fair majority of Cedar Fair parks receiving a RMC.  That being said, I think KI will be among the last to receive one, given that we are getting a GCI for 2017.

• Like 4

Having only been on two RMC projects, both at Kentucky Kingdom, I can say that my experiences have been great.  Twisted Twins reborn as Storm Chaser is thrilling.  And the retracking of Thunder Run...let's just say it rides in top shape.

As for KI, RMC should never touch The Beast except for traditional retrack work.  The Racer--a retrack with traditional or topper track I would be for.  I'd also love to see, with this fantasy retrack, a restoration to the original paint scheme.

Did RMC do the retracking on Thunder Run?  If they did, they used conventional wooden coaster track, and not any of their topper track.  I wouldn`t consider Kentucky Kingdom having two RMC creations, as Thunder Run is the same ride design as when it opened.  

I have ridden Outlaw Run at Silver Dollar City.  While the ride was fun, and we grabbed a couple rides on it, I wouldn`t rate it in my top ten.  I haven`t had a chance to get down to Kentucky Kingdom to check out Storm Chaser yet.

Did RMC do the retracking on Thunder Run?  If they did, they used conventional wooden coaster track, and not any of their topper track.  I wouldn`t consider Kentucky Kingdom having two RMC creations, as Thunder Run is the same ride design as when it opened.  

I have ridden Outlaw Run at Silver Dollar City.  While the ride was fun, and we grabbed a couple rides on it, I wouldn`t rate it in my top ten.  I haven`t had a chance to get down to Kentucky Kingdom to check out Storm Chaser yet.

RMC completely retracked Thunder Run in 2013, ahead of the 2014 opening.  It is conventional track, not topper track.  I don't consider Thunder Run a RMC creation, but a project.  I am looking forward to Lightning Rod at Dollywood, it will be my first RMC topper track coaster.

Kings Island, which is preparing to open Mystic Timbers, has the notoriously rough and bumpy 1972 Racer that’s crying out for some RMC love.

Since when was Racer rough? I just can't see RMC Racer ever considering Greg & Don have strong feelings for the ride... 

• Like 1

I hope they don't RMC Racer, it's still a good ride, not to mention a classic. Also, I don't think we need to go the way of Six Flags and RMC everything! However, I would not mind a custom (from the ground-up) RMC creation at Kings Island.

The Racer doesn't need to be RMC'd there is without a question of it needing TLC tho.
  • Like 6

I hope they don't RMC Racer, it's still a good ride, not to mention a classic. Also, I don't think we need to go the way of Six Flags and RMC everything! However, I would not mind a custom (from the ground-up) RMC creation at Kings Island.

The Racer doesn't need to be RMC'd there is without a question of it needing TLC tho.

It would be nice to see a repaint and retrack but i wouldn't go full out RMC

• Like 5

Could The Racer just be a maintenance nightmare to warrant, a rmc conversion. I hope not and if so save one side of the ride if at all hope.

I think it could be a cool half conversion the x base side for rmc traditional in coney mall..

But The Racer is a true classic that gave new hope to wooden coasters

Retracks/reprofiling actually can involve some minor changes to the track, look at the minor adjustments that GCI did to Carowinds Hurler. The track layout itself didn't change enough that the GP knows the differenance but the banking was changed, the curve was moved out on the entrance. Also on Ghostrider, GCI moved around the ledgers without rebuilding the bents. GCI has also stated that they made changes to Thunder Road's design but even I can't find them other than the ride being much smoother.

• Like 2

Yeah, RMC doesn`t pick their projects.  They might choose not to submit a response to an RFP that a park issued, but if they want a project bad enough, they will submit a response, no matter what the existing ride layout is.  Sometimes the most stringent restraints create the most creative, interesting and fun layouts.  Look at all the height restrictions that Alton Towers has, and how some of their rides interact with the terrain.

Seems like people would not be in favor of a Racer RMC conversion. I, on the other hand, would love to see it get the RMC treatment. Now, I'm not going to say Racer is "notoriously" rough, but for me, it is pretty rough. I sit in the front row, and it's okay. It's definitely smoother, but not as rough. The further back in the train you sit in, the more rough it gets.

I've had quite a few bad experiences on The Racer. The last row in the train is probably the worst place to sit, as it is the most rough in my opinion. I've also had quite a few experiences when my lap bar has tightened on me going through the course, which makes my ride experience worse. I'm stapled to my seat, and this rough coaster is not helping at all. Maybe I get a lot of bad rides on it, and others get better rides, I don't know. But from my experiences on Racer, I would not mind if RMC came in and did something to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2