Cedar Point workers on Strike

Good for them! Record profits, lifetime contracts handed out at the top, yet no increase in pay for the people who actually keep the park's infrastructure running for the top officials to make money. I hope no scabs come through and try to undercut them.

• Like 4

One of those comments claims Cedar Point is Cedar Fair's most profitable park. I'm pretty sure graphs that have been released prove that wrong. The same comment also says Cedar Point has a reputation of being dirty. That's the first I've heard of that as well.

CP is the most profitable park based on a per day profit. KBF is open year round. If CP was open year round it would be without a doubt the most profitable park in CF's portfolio. Also head to CP during mayfly season, or just during the season with all of the seagull poop splattered throughout the park, it gets pretty dirty. CP isn't the grossest park I've been to but it definitely isn't the cleanest.

• Like 4

One of those comments claims Cedar Point is Cedar Fair's most profitable park. I'm pretty sure graphs that have been released prove that wrong. The same comment also says Cedar Point has a reputation of being dirty. That's the first I've heard of that as well.

CP is the most profitable park based on a per day profit. KBF is open year round. If CP was open year round it would be without a doubt the most profitable park in CF's portfolio. Also head to CP during mayfly season, or just during the season with all of the seagull poop splattered throughout the park, it gets pretty dirty. CP isn't the grossest park I've been to but it definitely isn't the cleanest.

I'm not doubting your logic but Cedar Point would be losing money if it were open year round where its currently located. 

• Like 1

It seems rarely do us outsiders fully know the issues involved in labor disputes so I personally don't take sides.

The way I see it the MS and hotel projects could be delayed without substantial harm to CF, but areas of CPS are all torn up so that could cause really big problems for next season if the waterpark were unable to open.

Let's all hope the two sides can reach a mutually acceptable agreement quickly.

• Like 2

Notably, with a picket line in place, work has stopped on the Hotel Breakers addition. No word on RMC work at the Mean Streak site.

I would think that RMC work at the Mean Streak site would actually be done by contractors not employed by the park, same with Hotel Breakers.....I could be wrong but that's just my guess. 

Either way, I hope that this gets settled quickly and that the park is ready to open on time in 2017.

• Like 5

^ The picket line itself could be an issue in the case of construction workers, if getting to the jobsite would require crossing it.

Hopefully the sides reach a resolution soon so that everyone can get back to work.

Saw a few pictures and they are essentially standing on the corners on the Causeway, not crossing the road. 

I really hope they resolve this quickly like everyone else, I understand that they want higher pay but... how much exactly CAN you make when they are not earning profit during the off season? Anyway hope their pay goes up but at the same time, what can they earn if the park isn't earning money during the off season? 

D-amn right we honor other Trades lines.  When I was in the IBEW and pulled up to a jobsite that another Trade had a line set up, I parked, called the Foreman or GF for my Contractor and said Im at the gate, not coming in.  Even though most all Locals in the IBEW operate under CIR (No strike clause) you can bet we honor all other Trades lines.  Furthermore, any "journalism" in the Sandusky Rag will almost always and certainly be written in a manner that will shine a light on Cedar Point, much like the GOCC FB page is right now.  They know what side their bread is buttered on, and wont rattle that dogs cage, I can promise you that.

• Like 6

D-amn right we honor other Trades lines. When I was in the IBEW and pulled up to a jobsite that another Trade had a line set up, I parked, called the Foreman or GF for my Contractor and said Im at the gate, not coming in. Even though most all Locals in the IBEW operate under CIR (No strike clause) you can bet we honor all other Trades lines. Furthermore, any "journalism" in the Sandusky Rag will almost always and certainly be written in a manner that will shine a light on Cedar Point, much like the GOCC FB page is right now. They know what side their bread is buttered on, and wont rattle that dogs cage, I can promise you that.

Dumb honest question. If RMc is not union would they be scabs or just doing their jobs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

If a construction company is non Union, and there is a Union picket anywhere on the property, 99.9% of said jobsites or companies have whats called a 2 Gate system if at all possible.  For instance, if striking workers are picketing by the Hotel Breakers gate, then the workers for the non Union company will be instructed to enter and leave through the Marina gate or the Main entrance gate.  Thats just an example, and in a case such as this, odds are the Union employees wouldnt demand a 2 Gate since RMC is a subcontractor, and the Union employees beef isnt with them.  A scab title is put on a "less than desirable" (cleaned up for what I normally call them) that the rat company hires in to replace the striking workers until said strike is settled.  If I were on a line supporting a striking Trade, and the RMC employees came in, Id not hassle them a bit, since its not their fight and they dont have a dog in it.  This tends to change quickly and drastically on a full on construction site where the customer/project owner hires both Union and non Union subcontractors to work on the same project.  THAT, is when you can bet your butt a 2 Gate system is put into place, more often than not with even 2 separate parking areas if at all possible.

• Like 4

They will, two days is easy to makeup, to be honest.  They will A)Work one weekend or B)work one week of 5 10s (if they are working 8s) or 5 12s (If they are working 10s).  The latter is more likely than the former, because Contractors tend to frown heavily on paying their employees premium time on weekends, since the full day Saturday is 1.5 time and Sundays are double time.

• Like 3

If a construction company is non Union, and there is a Union picket anywhere on the property, 99.9% of said jobsites or companies have whats called a 2 Gate system if at all possible. For instance, if striking workers are picketing by the Hotel Breakers gate, then the workers for the non Union company will be instructed to enter and leave through the Marina gate or the Main entrance gate. Thats just an example, and in a case such as this, odds are the Union employees wouldnt demand a 2 Gate since RMC is a subcontractor, and the Union employees beef isnt with them. A scab title is put on a "less than desirable" (cleaned up for what I normally call them) that the rat company hires in to replace the striking workers until said strike is settled. If I were on a line supporting a striking Trade, and the RMC employees came in, Id not hassle them a bit, since its not their fight and they dont have a dog in it. This tends to change quickly and drastically on a full on construction site where the customer/project owner hires both Union and non Union subcontractors to work on the same project. THAT, is when you can bet your butt a 2 Gate system is put into place, more often than not with even 2 separate parking areas if at all possible.

Thank you. When I was young, my father went through strikes, and of course, it was odd hours. My mother would run him a dinner, and we'd all want to go see him, but weren't allowed. It was more violent then,

I never understood some of the rules of strikes. It's good to have someone who can clear things up.

Edit: I'm glad it's resolved. I recall a strike that lasted about 8 weeks. We were all ready to crash the supermarket first paycheck.

• Like 1