Coasterstock 2017

JubJester

12 hours ago, johnaalexis said:

Yeah.... lol according to the TR I read, it was bad lol 

Honestly, it was mostly fine.  The problems were confined to memorable areas of the menu but there was plenty of other food.  The park did change the menu up last year and I think most people would agree the chicken was pretty good.

• Like 2

Yeah, I really enjoyed that meal because I happened to stop and talk to some KICers who were already eating, before I went to get in line myself. I just didn't grab any ribs. I think it was when we had little cups of blue ice cream for dessert, even. 

The BBQ pulled pork they had last year instead of the ribs was quite yummy. 

I can't remember which time I was in Picnic Grove this last year (I don't think it was Coasterstock, but later in the season) when they had potato chips. Every time I get the baked beans at KI, I think "I really want potato chips with these." Somebody else must have thought the same thing :)

So, I personally hope for potato chips (if there are baked beans) and blue ice cream to be on the menu at at least one of the meals this year!

• Like 2

Dinner in 2015 featured chicken & ribs as the main courses. Most of those who chose the ribs went back up & got the chicken.

The ribs were a good idea, but they were very tough. I piled a plate full & managed to find one rib that I could chew. It's been a bit of a running joke ever since.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Magenta Lizard said:

Yeah, I really enjoyed that meal because I happened to stop and talk to some KICers who were already eating, before I went to get in line myself. I just didn't grab any ribs. I think it was when we had little cups of blue ice cream for dessert, even. 

The BBQ pulled pork they had last year instead of the ribs was quite yummy. 

I can't remember which time I was in Picnic Grove this last year (I don't think it was Coasterstock, but later in the season) when they had potato chips. Every time I get the baked beans at KI, I think "I really want potato chips with these." Somebody else must have thought the same thing :)

So, I personally hope for potato chips (if there are baked beans) and blue ice cream to be on the menu at at least one of the meals this year!

Blue Ice cream can make anything better! lol 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, johnaalexis said:

Q... If check in begins at 6:30am and ERT begins at 8:30, is the two hours in between just a wating period? Like a dead period?

It's just a waiting period....but trust me, you'll want to be there at 6:30, because if not, you'll be standing in a long long line waiting to get checked in. The team does a great job checking everyone in, but it does take some time.

• Like 2

Eh, the people working might be doing a great job, but there needs to be more of them.  That has been probably my only pet peeve about events at Kings Island in recent years.  They know exactly how many people are registered for events, so there is no excuse in my mind for not being prepared for 75% of them to show up at check in time.  I'm not sure if that is a staffing issue or what, but the check in line is often the longest one you will have to wait in at an event.  

(It was really cold in that 5:30 AM Banshee line. :))

• Like 5

If they handle it like CP did with Coastermania last year, it shouldn't be a problem.  That was a very smooth check in. Their 2015 check-in for Coastermania was a disaster. I hope they take a hint from CP on how to do an event check-in. 

• Like 2

If 500 attendees all show up at once, the line will be long no matter what. Two hours for check-in will hopefully stagger arrivals a bit. Those who prefer to arrive at a more reasonable time will have a shorter wait, as the early birds will have already checked in.

Many enthusiasts like to arrive well in advance of gate opening, so it's nice of the park to be ready for check-in so early.

13 minutes ago, Pagoda Gift Shop said:

Some of us were in line as soon as parking tolls opened at 4:20am. I was indeed cold standing in that 36° line for hours, but I wasn't about to take a coat for my first-ever ride on Banshee. I'm weird like that.

• Like 3

After I mentioned earlier in the thread about the uneven division of the lines (the line for the second half of the alphabet was much shorter than the other line) and slowness of check in, Don Helbig contacted me, and I don't think he'd mind if I shared what he said. 

One of the biggest things that slowed down check-in in previous years was people who didn't do the second half of the registration process, where you fill in all your info on the web form.  When someone who didn't register got to the front, the associate at the window needed to take down all that info and go try to find a t-shirt in the right size, etc (rather than just check the membership card and hand over the premade packet with the t-shirt, credentials, etc). 

So, he said, this year not only are they not splitting the line alphabetically (possibly across more associates too, although he didn't say for sure), if someone hasn't registered, they will be asked to step aside until everyone who did register has been taken care of. This will make things MUCH quicker for those of us who register. 

So be sure to go back and  register after buying your tickets!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Pagoda Gift Shop said:

Eh, the people working might be doing a great job, but there needs to be more of them.  That has been probably my only pet peeve about events at Kings Island in recent years.  They know exactly how many people are registered for events, so there is no excuse in my mind for not being prepared for 75% of them to show up at check in time.  I'm not sure if that is a staffing issue or what, but the check in line is often the longest one you will have to wait in at an event.  

There isn't always more of them. They have a staff for special events like this, some are there for registration some are there for activities later in the day...while some folks are able to work 12+ hour shifts, not everyone is able to (minor labor laws, full time vs part time), etc. 

It's more of people need to actually follow directions when they register as Magenta Lizard said.....the people who fail to do so, made the lines much much longer.

But then again, they don't even have to do the event for us. 

• Like 3

I already registered, immediatly after I purchased my tickets. I was a bit confused though, I bought two tickets in one order and I registered myself with the single order number and then I registered my fiance under his name with the same order number. I wasn't sure what else to do and it took them, so I hope everything worked out fine. I wished they gave you a confirmation about that. 

• Like 1

^ You did it correctly.

Multiple tickets can be purchased in one order (step 1), but step 2 needs to be completed for each person individually. If you purchased more than one ticket from the online store, you would use that same confirmation number when signing up each person in step 2. The park uses this information to match up orders with people, to ensure everyone has a ticket.

• Like 2

Following directions is definitely a big deal in terms of making things go smoothly.  The larger the group, the less likely everyone follows directions.  The park can certainly look at ways to help as well though.  

Thanks for sharing the info, Magenta.  I'm glad to hear they won't be splitting the line alphabetically.  I couldn't have told you why things were taking so long, I only knew that having to wait in an hour line just to check in for a pre-registration only event seemed strange.  

• Like 3

On 1/17/2017 at 10:38 AM, malem said:

Dinner in 2015 featured chicken & ribs as the main courses. Most of those who chose the ribs went back up & got the chicken.

The ribs were a good idea, but they were very tough. I piled a plate full & managed to find one rib that I could chew. It's been a bit of a running joke ever since.

I was there in 2015, but had to leave early the next day so I could study my math the day before a test on that Monday. The food was really good. Plus I was able to see Charlie Brown!

• Like 4