Rumors 2017 onward

SonofBaconator

What are some rumors you've heard about KI or other Cedar Fair parks that will supposedly happen from the 2017 season and onward? I know all attractions for the 2017 season are all confirmed but with the whole Mean Streak debacle you never know.

Some legitimate rumors I've heard for KI:

1. Drop Tower possibly renamed Demon Drop
  2. Former SOB station recycled for another ride
  3. A giga coming soon (Duh)

Some legitimate rumors I've heard for other Cedar Fair Parks:

1. Hurlers (KD & Carowinds) getting RMC'd
  2. Canada's Wonderland getting an invert
  3. Kings Dominion getting a hyper
  4. RMC possibly coming to more CF parks in the distant future
  5. CGA getting a hyper or another big coaster

I didn't count the Mean Streak rumor because there has been enough evidence to confirm RMC's presence at Cedar Point. 

• Like 6

I like the idea of Drop Tower being renamed to Demon Drop, brings back some more old names like The Bat, and some more of the Supernatural theme names to Action Zone. Something occupying the old SOB station would also boost a little more traffic to The Bat area, but i don't know how likely it is with all the coater traffic in the area.  

• Like 4

^^^

Cedar Pointe, Kings Dominion, Carrowinds and Canada all have Giga's, it makes sense that Cedar Fair's other major seasonal property would get one as well, kind of like it made sense that KI got a B&M invert, like it makes sense (in my mind) that KI is getting a modern day woodie that is a little more family friendly in the intimidation department. 

I don't know exactly how Cedar Fair views the "competition" b/w KY & the Pointe, but the with the multi-day passes available for both parks, its obvious that they see a symbiotic relationship b/w the two, not only for people w/n the state of Ohio, but also for people traveling to Ohio for a summer vacation of amusement parks.  So with that in mind, I wouldn't expect a winged coaster any time in the next few rotations as the Pointe's is still fairly fresh, especially for those traveling for a once in a decade adventure thru the 2 great Ohio amusement parks.  I have no insider information, but I believe in my heart of hearts, that a Giga will be KI's next major installment.  FWIW, I said multiple times on here that while I expected a Giga w/ the current installation, I really felt that a modern day GCI woodie was what the park needed.  A coaster with no loops, not a ton of height, something that mom and dad won't be too hesitant to ride with their teenage son/daughter and something that their 8 year old can get on as well.  The last 3 installations were a flyer, a Hyper and an invert with a ton of loops and inversions.  I think Mystic Timbers plugs a huge gap in KI's lineup and will be a great addition.  My experience on Renegade up at Valley Fair a couple of summers ago is what put me on that train of thought.

so anyhoo, no rumors that I've heard from either good sources or bad, just what makes sense to me at the moment.

As far as rumors, I've read that Valley Fair is working w/ the Army Corp of engineers to repurpose the back of their property to expand the water park and rides lineup.  I think the water park expansion may be happening, but I'm not certain, I haven't checked on what they're getting for 2017 in quite some time.  I believe that park could use a B&M invert, if and when they get rid of their dino-land, I think that area would make a great spot for an invert, especially if they can turn part of the back of the property into a parking lot/second entrance focused on the water park.

• Like 3

In one way I'm a little resistant to the name Demon Drop (it having been a very different kind of ride), but then again anything would be better than the hyper-generic name Drop Tower.

. Could even toss all those Splintercat fans a bone and maybe they would leave the coasters alone?

What is up with the name "Action Zone" anyway? I assume it is a leftover from the Paramount days as in "lights, camera, action!"?

But what does it mean now? This is where the "Action" is and all the other areas are slow and boring? This is where you go to get some action? I don't get it.

• Like 2

I love the idea of renaming Drop Tower (what a truly awful name).

I think it is a safe bet that a Triotech dark ride will appear sooner than later. Whether that is a redo of Boo Blasters or something new I have no idea but could see either. Triotech also showed off a flying theator ride at IAAPA just a few weeks ago.

How about a Triotech shooter to replace Boo Blasters and the flying theator in the Crypy building?

• Like 2

After Triotech unveiled their flying theater attraction, I actually thought it could be a viable install for the old Crypt/TR:RT building. Would probably fit well with the stacked version with having the height of the building but not a ton of space for a tracked ride without having the building expanded or it dipping in and out of it.

• Like 3

I like the idea of renaming Drop Zone to Demon Drop. 

Personally, I think Mean Streak re-opening will be for 2018 because 1) 2017 announcements have already been made, 2)RMC says no new projects opening in 2017.  I would think Cedar Point would announce MS to boost season pass sales. Not very effective late. They are really pushing the waterpark additions, which is typical of CF to do that without a new coaster taking away attention from that.

• Like 2

Amusement Dark IS being used. That's what Cedar Fair has been referring to its recent dark ride projects as--it's all part of the Amusement Dark initiative.

EDIT: Sorry, the forum software (or my phone?) was glitching on me and wouldn't let me keep typing--had to download Tapatalk to edit this. What I meant to add: If you look at some of Cedar Fair's recent internal stuff, like their quarterly reports, you'll find Amusement Dark referenced there.

• Like 5

What are some rumors you've heard about KI or other Cedar Fair parks that will supposedly happen from the 2017 season and onward? I know all attractions for the 2017 season are all confirmed but with the whole Mean Streak debacle you never know.

I didn't count the Mean Streak rumor because there has been enough evidence to confirm RMC's presence at Cedar Point. 

Interesting topic.

I gotta ask:

What makes a rumor "legitimate"?

• Like 5

Interesting topic.

I gotta ask:

What makes a rumor "legitimate"?

Legitimate as in realistic and has been talked about by more than one party.

A giga coming to the park rumored by many people across many different forms of media, a legitimate rumor 

Green Intamin track being seen by an unaccredited source, illegitimate 

• Like 4