How is it like working at KI

Xdog42

3 minutes ago, rcwizard13 said:

Thanks to everyone who posted advice in this thread. Last weekend I applied and this morning I had my interview. I was in a larger group interview with 8 of us split into two tables of four. We had all applied to a mixture of departments, as well. Initially I was offered a Planet Snoopy position, but as I'm over 18 I was also offered Xtreme Skyflyer, which I accepted.

When I was thinking beforehand of rides I'd want to work at, Skyflyer hadn't even crossed my mind. I'm eager to learn all about it though. If any of you have worked Skyflyer, I'd love to hear about your work experience specific to it.

Nice man, Great ti hear you got the job

There are things I want to suggest to employees-

- Allow yourself to leave work and not ride things before you leave.  While it is nice to have that option, it can wear you out more than you think if you make it a common practice.  

- don't rely too much on Oscar's (or whatever it's called now) for your food options during breaks.  

- keep hydrated, especially if you're working an outdoor job, pace yourself appropriately in order to be productive within your physical and mental limitations, be patient with yourself in reaching that point

- this should be a no-brainer for members here, but be informed on the park and on goings (promotions, special events, etc; especially within your department), know how to give directions from any one point in the park to another

- listen to guests carefully, be mindful of details and don't be afraid to go to your bosses if you can't handle a situation

- be prepared for the unexpected, be observant

• Like 5

2 hours ago, silver2005 said:

There are things I want to suggest to employees-

- Allow yourself to leave work and not ride things before you leave.  While it is nice to have that option, it can wear you out more than you think if you make it a common practice.  

This is super important.  Going into my third season now, and as an enthusiest, it's super hard to come off of an open shift and not want to go right back into the park to hit up Diamondback and Beast before I leave.  During my first year, I went back in all the time.  But with the hours you can rack up at KI, your body will thank you when you take a break or two.

2 hours ago, silver2005 said:

- listen to guests carefully, be mindful of details and don't be afraid to go to your bosses if you can't handle a situation

Or even your boss's boss, if you don't think the situation was handled to the rightful resolution.  Don't ever leave a guest hanging with an unresolved problem, always see them through to the end of their problem or resolution (or until you can pass it off to another, more-qualified associate for the issue)

This has been said before, but I think it's important to reiterate.  You cannot  release company information that is not publicly available to everyone.  Yes, we're all enthusiasts, but before you post something about your job here on KICentral, please think again and make sure it's appropriate to post.

• Like 4

Haha, Never thought I could make such a useful thread. Seriously just thought I was going to get 3 or 4 simple replies, but it turned out to be beneficial for myself and other members, Again thanks everyone for the replies.

• Like 3

I had my Processing appointment this morning, bright and early at 9 a.m. I arrived 20 minutes early which paid off greatly; I recommend to my fellow associates that you arrive early to your appointments as well. It's always better to err on the side of early rather than late -- which I am sure many of us know from experience. :)

I was in and out in about an hour. The most exciting part was obviously having my associate ID issued and my uniforms checked out, though my uniform shorts are apparently a bit snug (my belt hangs loosely even when it's buckled in the last hole!). I'll have to exchange them for the next size or two larger at Associate Services when I return for Orientation on the 18th (13 days!).

When I got back to my car I looked at my uniforms, nametags and ID for a solid five minutes out of sheer excitement. :P It's so cool yet surreal for me to see a Kings Island nametag with my own name on it! :lol:

That being said, I hope my fellow associates feel just as excited!

• Like 10

be careful at Vortex, i remember blistering my hand a bit from checking restraints there! Also if you have some time off, try to get shifts from other rides! It's better to be trained many places than just two so you can help people out and have something different to do!

• Like 2

Since I had posted my uniform picture (also my new KIC profile picture) on my Instagram, a number of my classmates brought it up at lunch today, one of whom also loves Vortex. A lot of them hope to come visit me when they're at the Island this summer. It'll be so fun seeing so many friends! :D

Speaking of friends, one of my friends, Kaeli, who graduated from my high school last year, applied for a position in Rides and got a phone call for an interview. She mentioned to the person on the phone that she knows me, so she has a chance of maybe ending up on my crew, if she is offered a position and if the WindSeeker/Vortex crew is one of the options! :D

Kaeli's interview is this Sunday, the 12th, at 1 p.m. Fingers crossed that she gets the job!

• Like 6

Well a good thing is that now that you change your profile pic, most people from KI central will be able to recognize you when riding Vortex/WindSeeker.

Also what row is best on Vortex, I'm really not an expert on it and I'm likely going to try to ride it more with the X-Base Section Rides.

• Like 1

7-1 is the row by must. 7th car first row. You get some good airtime going down the first drop. 5-1 is typically referred to as toomer seat as the ride was designed around that row. I've never had a bad ride in 7-1.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

If I want a great view (as I love seeing the track right in front of me in the inversions) I choose 1-1; 2-1 is my backup choice if I'm not in the mood to wait the extra time for 1-1.

For airtime, 7-1 is my go-to row; if there is already someone waiting for 7-1 but 6-1 and/or 6-2 is open, I ride there instead.

Occasionally I ride in the middle. 3-1 is a pretty good place to ride, as I found out this past Closing Day. :)

Since my job involves test riding, I'll have plenty of times to experience and maybe find a "hidden gem" row/seat. Who knows...

• Like 3

15 hours ago, KatieF said:

Anyone here work during Haunt? Is it more fun or more stressful for employees?

Working during Haunt, not specifically in the Haunts themselves, is usually very stressful as the hours are late and the park is extremely busy on Saturdays.

Haunt Fridays aren't terrible nor are the Sundays following.

• Like 4

On 3/8/2017 at 8:14 AM, teenageninja said:

Working during Haunt, not specifically in the Haunts themselves, is usually very stressful as the hours are late and the park is extremely busy on Saturdays.

Haunt Fridays aren't terrible nor are the Sundays following.

Is it fun though? Like I work retail and I have a love hate relationship with the Christmas season because it can be super busy and stressful, but at the end of the year, it feels very rewarding that I survived. lol

While it may seem strange, busy days at Coney are usually the days I love most to work.  The time goes by quickly, there is never a dull moment, and it is fun to see the park so full with people.  Busy days sure beat slow days when the park is slow and time drags on so slowly.

Just as a friendly reminder to those that have been hired on at Kings Island.  Remember to be careful what you post on here.  Posting of anything which you are not authorized to do, can and will result in your termination.  

• Like 6