Forum software upgrade

Today I was finally able to log in using Tapatalk, so I think what you fixed worked for me.Ā 
Is anyone else experiencing frustration that to go to the new posts on a thread, you click the little icon to the left, but to go to the new posts in a forum you click on the text? I keep accidentally either marking a forum read when I want to see its posts, or going to the first post of a thread because I clicked on the title rather than the icon. Can't seem to keep it straight.Ā 

This is not a new problem. It was exactly the same on the previous version, and yes, it's confused me in the past as well.
  • Like 2

^ I checked the server logs. The IPB upgrade removed Tapatalk's column from the user table, and Tapatalk didn't add it back because it thought it should already be there.
I manually added it back, so it should work now. Let me know.

Back up and running. Thank you sir. I missed this place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

Was the "mark read" and "first new" icons thing set up the same way on the old mobile layoutĀ (which is what I used most of the time)? If so I have no idea why I've been having so much trouble since the change. I can't remember for sure how it worked before tho. I seem to vaguely remember having had this same problem some time back when they tried to change the forum layout but they ended up reverting after a few days to the old version. Or maybe I was able to switch back to mobile?

My memory problems can sometimes be a real pain

The old mobile layout was a separate theme entirely, so it could have been different. The new versionĀ uses what's called "responsive design" to properly adapt to a variety of screen sizes, rather than using a separate theme designed for mobile devices.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jcgoble3 said:

Is it possible to get the size of embedded YouTube video players reduced to back where it was before? The "what song are you listening to?" thread has become incredibly annoying to scroll through with these gigantic video players.

I think the update has a more responsive layout now adjusting to the size of your window and resolution so it can run on mobile as well. I doubt that can be changed without affecting the website overall, but I will let Malem or Dane respond for sure.

Brad's correct; the IPB4 theme is designed for videos to fill the viewport. This is, indeed, annoying on the desktop,

I think Dane is working on a new theme for the forum, and we can properly address the issue then. Until then, I appended a quick & temporary CSS hack to the theme to get rid of the annoyance without affecting mobile.

/*temporary desktop video fix by malem*/ @media screen and (min-width: 800px) { ipsEmbeddedVideo.ipsEmbeddedVideo_limited > div, .ipsEmbeddedVideo:not( .ipsEmbeddedVideo_limited ){ width: 50% !important; padding-bottom: 25% !important }} 

Ā 

• Like 1

So, I love how videos automatically embed themselves after linking, links pasted in the post actually become active, and the old HTML editing option has been replaced with Source. Much more user friendly for HTML-saavy users like myself (at least, I like to think I am...). Good job malem (and others who contributed!) :D

• Like 2

On 1/13/2017 at 10:00 PM, jtro223 said:

Can you help me find the forums I have posted in?Ā  In the previous version, there was a link under my user name.Ā  I don't seeĀ  that option now

Here you go. Hover over your nick in a post or elsewhere in the forum (online users, leaderboard, etc.) then click "Find Content" once the member card pops up.Ā http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?/profile/9652-jtro223/content/

Unfortunately the hover trick doesn't work on mobile devices but that's the only easy way to get to it.

A few more updates today.

Signatures are back by popular request. (Click on your name in the top right, account settings.)
Forum wallpapers are back on KICentral theme.
IPB Default remains as option as some users prefer it.
Entire site is now secure under SSL 128bit security.
Removed top ad banner.

More to come...

• Like 5

I am glad we implemented the SSL update. v56 of Chrome is not going to treat unsecure sites to well.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3118164/security/google-chrome-to-start-marking-http-connections-as-insecure.html

To push more websites to implement encryption and to better protect users, Google will start flagging plain HTTP connections as insecure in its popular Chrome browser.

The plan will go into effect in January with the release of Chrome 56 and will roll out in stages. Chrome 56 will display a "not secure" indicator before HTTP URLs in the browser's address bar, but only for those web pages that contain password or credit card form fields.

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 2

I like the feature of text smileys automatically converting into the graphical emoticon as you type a post, but I've noticed that this comes with a bug. Steps to reproduce:

1. Type a few words into a new post in a thread.

2. Type a space, followed by a text smiley, but do not hit the space bar afterward. Make sure that there is nothing at all after the text smiley (it has to be at the end of the post for the bug to manifest, AFAICT).

3. Reposition the cursor to earlier in the post.

4. Begin typing. The first time you type a space, the cursor will unexpectedly jump to the text smiley, convert it to a graphic, and then insert the space after the smiley. Further typing will insert at the new cursor position rather than where you had it before the space.

If it makes a difference, I'm using the IPB Default skin on Firefox 50.1.0 on Windows 10.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We moved the site's hosting to Linode with the nginx web server, which should make things faster.

If there are any problems, or if anything is slow, let me know. We have to decide by tonight (Wednesday) whether to revert to the old hosting provider for another month.

• Like 3