CoasterMania & HoliWood Nights 2017

Just a heads up on two major coaster enthusiast events, again falling on the same weekend this year - CoasterMania (Cedar Point) on Friday, June 2 and HoliWood Nights (Holiday World) Friday-Saturday, June 2-3. I'll be at one of them, but I still have no idea which.

Registration for HoliWood Nights is open now; CoasterMania tickets will go on sale at a to-be-announced time & will sell out very quickly. Hotel availability around both parks is already scarce that weekend, so it's wise to plan early.

It's worth noting that Holiday World requires attendees to be a member of a recognized coaster club at a level of $20/year or higher. Cedar Point has reduced the number of clubs they accept for CoasterMania in recent years, so you'll want to make sure you're in a recognized club if planning to go.

• Like 2

I'll be at HoliWood Nights again for the third straight year. This time I'm staying at Red Roof Inn in Ferdinand because my sister and brother-in-law are planning to tag along and bring my niece, so we needed extra space. I booked back in September though so it's only costing $129 a night for a suite (last year I booked late and ended up paying $100 a night at Motel 6 in Dale).

• Like 1

I'd like to go to HWN sometime, but it won't be this year. I'll be at Coastermania. Last year's event was great. But 2015's CM was kind of meh. The check-in was a disaster and I wasted half the morning ERT in the check-in line and lines were 30 minutes long during the ERT. Plus, there were people who acted like jerks. But, 2016 they capped the attendance and charged $30, which solved most, if not all problems. But the cruise around the lake was the highlight for me. That alone justified the cost. And tickets last year didn't sell out too fast, it took about a month, IIRC.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IBEW_Sparky said:

Yes it is.... as an informational point of interest for those who are members, the most notable in regards to enthusiast clubs that are NOT recognized for admission to Coastermania is Coaster Crew

Probably more informative to let people know what clubs are allowed to attend seeing the list is so small.

Here is the list:

American Coaster Enthusiasts
Club de Fans de Montanas Rusas
Club TPR
CoasterBuzz Club
European Coaster Club
Great Ohio Coaster Club
Roller Coaster Club of Great Britain
Cedar Point Ride Warriors Club

We embrace and love all other clubs and we understand not ALL clubs can be invited to all events.

But for those of you that choose not to attend Coastermania, The Coaster Crew holds fabulous events with lots of perks and our members are welcome to attend:

Holiwood Nights at Holiday World, Coasterstock at Kings Island, Phoenix Phall Phunfest at Knoebels, Coaster Madness at Dorney Park, and more! 

Hope to see you all in 2017!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Thabto said:

And tickets last year didn't sell out too fast, it took about a month, IIRC.

Going by the number of people who couldn't attend last year because it sold out, I'd expect tickets to go much quicker this year. I'd recommend buying as soon as they go on sale, if possible.

Case in point - Winter Chill Out, which has long been a hard ticket event, seems to sell out more quickly each year.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Based on the feedback that I've heard over the past few years it seems like Holliwood Nights is less.... problematic...

To Cedar Point's credit, it's a well-run event. Most of the reported problems were in 2015, when too many people showed up. I managed to avoid 2-hour check-in lines & depleted meal/tour tickets by arriving at 5:30am (for 8am ERT).

Last year was a lot more manageable, with it being a ticketed event for the first time. With so few people at night ERT, everything (trimless Magnum, Maverick, TTD, Valravn) was practically a walk-on from 10:30pm-12:30am.

I have yet to go to HoliWood Nights, but I've heard nothing but good things about the event. It's going to be a tough decision.

8 hours ago, freaks76 said:

Doin some intense training. Gonna keep up with ya this year, malem. :)

Just a word of warning: I broke my personal steps record at CoasterMania in 2016. :) (~40 miles from 7:30am-1:00am.)

• Like 3

9 hours ago, malem said:

To Cedar Point's credit, it's a well-run event. Most of the reported problems were in 2015, when too many people showed up. I managed to avoid 2-hour check-in lines & depleted meal/tour tickets by arriving at 5:30am (for 8am ERT).

Last year was a lot more manageable, with it being a ticketed event for the first time. With so few people at night ERT, everything (trimless Magnum, Maverick, TTD, Valravn) was practically a walk-on from 10:30pm-12:30am.

I have yet to go to HoliWood Nights, but I've heard nothing but good things about the event. It's going to be a tough decision.

Just a word of warning: I broke my personal steps record at CoasterMania in 2016. :) (~40 miles from 7:30am-1:00am.)

Good deal. I like a challenge. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gannersdaddy said:

A question on Holliwood Nights.  How crowded is it?  8 hours of ERT looks awesome, especially with them being night rides.  

Most rides are almost always walkons. At max usually 1-2 train waits if you aren't waiting for front row seats. I rode Thunderbird with my cousins 8 times in a row on night 2 without exiting the station.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Which of these events would you recommend over the other? I went to HWN once back when the Timberliners were announced and it was a great time with some pretty cool coaster walkbacks. I've been to CP on the weekend of Coastermania before since its the weekend of an Anime Convention up there aswell (why is everything on that same weekend every single year?) and the park seemed VERY busy. Is it any better with event perks?

In the years I've gone to CoasterMania (2014-2016), the park hasn't been too badly crowded. (The park was dead in 2014 and 2016; 2015 was crowded but not excessively so. ERT and meals were overcrowded in 2015.)

I can't recommend one over the other, as I have yet to attend HoliWood Nights.

I've never been to CoasterMania, but this will be my third year at HoliWood nights and it's a ton of fun. The park isn't too terribly crowded and there's plenty of time to explore the park and ride things in between the various events - the walkbacks usually take place Saturday afternoon and the ERT is at night after the park closes to the general public.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

HWN is on my list, but not this year. I hate their having it the same weekend as Mania. I was checking out the itinerary, looks like it's gonna be a great time. 

Something that goes warp speed would be great. I could do both. :)

HoliWood Nights is $82 all-inclusive for the event & two days of admission, or $61 with after-4:30pm admission on Friday. There aren't any processing fees or taxes that drive the cost higher, except for the "Procrastination Tax" for on-site registration.

CoasterMania tickets go on sale this morning and will sell out - perhaps very quickly. Those planning to attend should buy tickets at their earliest convenience. The cost for Cedar Point season & Cedar Fair platinum passholders is $35 plus a $5.99-$9.99 processing fee per order.