The Giga Speculation Thread

SonofBaconator

Don't want to see AE go, but love to see a Taron style ride somewhere. Think back by Beast and Diamondback through the woods coudl be great, or even out past The Racer using the old Action Theatre as the station area.

Think a giga woudl work best on the far side of teh park, either the remaining SOB area or by X-Base/DA for skyline purposes. Agree putting it right off the front would throw the skyline a bit but be happy to have it anywhere. But yea to put it up there they'd have to remove Congo Falls, Inveritgo, and Timberwolf and don't see them all leaving anytime soon.

I think you would be hard pressed to see the park invest anymore money in Rivertown for a while, unless they do something with the big beige eyesore next to The Beast.

I would look to Coney Mall for the next major attraction.  It's been the only area in the park that hasn't gotten a major draw of a ride in years.  I don't count WindSeeker as a major attraction.

• Like 1

^I have an idea I want to throw out there.

What if (and it's a big if) assuming KI gets a giga we take a page out of Coney Island NYC and bring back on old nameplate/icon much like they did with Thunderbolt. We all know that the Thunderbolt coaster was an old relic of a wooden coaster that sat dormant at Coney Island for many years until it was finally removed in 2000. Fast forward 14 years and neighboring Luna Park decides to use that nameplate for their new Zamperla coaster using almost identical signage (albeit modernized). 

Here's my thought...KI gets a giga and names it after the old "Shooting Star" from Old Coney Island. They could actually design the new giga off the same footprint as the Shooting Star to pay homage to a once great classic coaster. According to RCDB, the Shooting Star was an L-Shaped out and back coaster that ran along the Ohio river. Here's where it gets interesting...if KI indeed owns property all the way down to the Little Miami River, I could vision a giga starting at a station in say the DA or Action Theater space, (or somewhere in between). Have the lift hill and drop headed towards the river, high speed banks and airtime hills running along the river, horseshoe turnaround and eventually headed back into station. I'm not too handy with MS Paint or Photoshop, but I'm sure some of you on here could do an awesome mockup on Google Maps with an overlay from Fury 325 or Leviathan's layout as they are both L-Shaped out and back coasters. 

I dunno, the station may seem a bit off the beaten path if you have to traverse under Racer to get to it, but to be fair, Invertigo, Beast, Bat, Firehawk & FoF to me, are off the beaten path just the same. 

Here is an image of the old Shooting Star station and logo. Can you imagine how this would look with 21st century LED lighting.....thoughts?

Shooting Star station pic source: Pinterest

fbb152bf90cf24fd594850703fbfbe41.jpg

• Like 8

3 hours ago, BuckeyeBond said:

I think it would be awesome if Kings Island partnered with the Reds and honor The Big Red Machine. It would be nice to have a 340ft Giga Named The Big Red Machine.

But that'd suggest the track would be red....and.....well.....I'm tired of seeing red track at Cedar Fair parks!

• Like 3

Don't mind the name or color scheme but a little mixed on layout, has some defintiely high points but room for improvement. And I agree don't see that location. Pretty much requires the removal of Congo (possible) and Timberwolf (don't see that real soon). Plus the way it works around everything akes it look very congested and cluttered in that area. Utilizing the same station spot and coming back over Bat coudl be ok but would keep the majority back behind Banshee and not going all over Action Zone.

• Like 1

Wouldnt this put the first turnaround going over top of great wolf lodge?

And I would hate to see The Bat get over shot like this. Its fine for compact parks where thats just the style.. but it looks weird to me when the park overall has its spaces for each ride.. then a giga or hyper just dwarfs a ride.

Rougarou, shambala, leviathan (probably mt least favorite)

• Like 2

Most of them. Vortex is a bit of an odd one in that regard. Some of us love it and don't ever want to see it removed. And some of us would rejoice if Kings Island announced tomorrow that this was its final season. I personally fall into the latter category.

Giving Vortex another chance this year. I am bringing my Vortex riding kit with me.
385ccab913a450e3427ac4f1671c6f67.jpg

Yes, it is inflatable and fits in the pocket easily. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

That Giga above looks pretty good to be honest. I absolutely love the location and how it seems to go through half the park. I just wish it had a better layout and kinda meandered around the last bit.

On another note, I've been thinking about a possible Giga coming to KI. It could be back in the DA area but just a simple but fun and intense Out & Back layout. For this concept, I was actually thinking about the manufacturer being Morgan. It would also be the tallest Giga and longest coaster in the world. Morgan proved already that they're willing to set records, so seeing a coaster like this would be great. This would give KI the longest steel and wooden roller coasters in the world. *HIGHLY UNLIKELY*

On 2/21/2017 at 1:21 PM, KingsMills79 said:

According to RCDB, the Shooting Star was an L-Shaped out and back coaster that ran along the Ohio river. Here's where it gets interesting...if KI indeed owns property all the way down to the Little Miami River, I could vision a giga starting at a station in say the DA or Action Theater space, (or somewhere in between). Have the lift hill and drop headed towards the river, high speed banks and airtime hills running along the river, horseshoe turnaround and eventually headed back into station. I'm not too handy with MS Paint or Photoshop, but I'm sure some of you on here could do an awesome mockup on Google Maps with an overlay from Fury 325 or Leviathan's layout as they are both L-Shaped out and back coasters.

I think you underestimate 1) the sheer amount of space The Beast takes up (its second hill is right behind Action Theater, and the right-hand turn after that is behind Blue Racer's turnaround), and 2) how undulating the terrain is. See this screenshot, to which I have added indications of approximate elevation above mean sea level (screenshot and elevations both sourced from Google Earth). The terrain has such steep hills that it is mostly unusable.

4Iz7Cf.jpg

• Like 1

7-1 is truly where it is on Vortex. Sure it has its awkward transitions but what do you expect from something designed 30 years ago. I love Vortex and hope it's at the park for many years to come.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I dont understand the specific distinction of 7-1. I never noticed a diffefence between 7-2 7-3 or 7-4.. the 7th car in general is great for me

14 minutes ago, calakapepe said:

I dont understand the specific distinction of 7-1. I never noticed a diffefence between 7-2 7-3 or 7-4.. the 7th car in general is great for me

7-1, in this case, refers to the first ROW of the 7th car, not to a specific seat. Enthusiasts usually refer to car-row numbers, or merely row numbers, when discussing coasters with 2 seats per row, and specify "left side" or "right side" in the rare case that it makes a difference. Only on coasters with 4 seats per row (e.g. Banshee) should you assume that a #-# designation is referring to row-seat. :)

• Like 2

So the only land that can be utilized is the old Lion Country Safari. It's relatively flat, (compared to other parts of the property), it's pretty clear and open, there's plenty of room to work with- especially with an L shaped layout, and there would still be plenty of room to spare for future projects if needed. 

6 hours ago, jcgoble3 said:

7-1, in this case, refers to the first ROW of the 7th car, not to a specific seat. Enthusiasts usually refer to car-row numbers, or merely row numbers, when discussing coasters with 2 seats per row, and specify "left side" or "right side" in the rare case that it makes a difference. Only on coasters with 4 seats per row (e.g. Banshee) should you assume that a #-# designation is referring to row-seat. :)

Ooooh, thanks ok

but, I would still say row 1 and 2 for that car is indistinguishable to me :P 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jcgoble3 said:

But you also have rides like Diamondback that it's car then seat..... so 8-2 wouldn't refer to the row, it'd refer to 8th car seat 2. The front of the car (observing from left to right is) Seat 1, Seat 2 and then back of the car is Seat 3, Seat 4.

Does it HAVE to be a B&M? I get that KD and CP are the closest Cedar Fair parks in either direction and they both have Intamin gigas (and we all know how the last of those two went), but I really don't understand having a B&M hyper and giga in the same park. I realize Carowinds just did it, but it makes no sense to me. Plus, these CF parks are all starting to get a little clone-y and there is nothing more clone-y to me than B&M. I get that they are reliable and consistent, but maybe for the 50th, Intamin will have pulled it together and we can get something unique and risky. I like that they made a slightly unconventional choice with Mystic Timbers (rough name and sure-to-be-underwhelming shed notwithstanding). Let's keep up that trend and build something weird and unique. Or if we're going out-and-back giga, at least let it be a wild Intamin ride. We already have a floater B&M

There's 0 evidence that Intamin has really changed all that much.  They've openly said that safety problems on coasters are an 'acceptable' part of the industry while B&M objectively has more consistent products in the way they handle their designing.  Intamin's most dominate market right now is Asia and what they have built since the American market has all but abandoned them is all too similar to what has been built and has proven problematic in someway.    When's the last time a B&M coaster has snapped a lift/launch cable? Or has had major track design overhauls?  Or hasn't opened on time?

On I-305 and Millennium Force vs Leviathan and Fury 325, I've heard mostly mixed reviews on the 2 Intamin rides while I've heard much more consistently good reviews of the B&M creations.  Everything B&M has built along side that (the B&M hypers, Banshee) have also been wildly successful ventures for Cedar Fair.  Why should they stop?  Say what you want about your opinion on B&M's forcefulness or lack thereof, but the GP clamors over them.  The ROI has worked in favor for CF. 

Also, Mack has pretty much caught up to Intamin in providing nearly every kind of coaster type Intamin offers and also has a better track record which has really boosted Mack in the European market.  That's not to say Intamin isn't still selling in the Western markets (just see a few of Busch Gardens' and Sea Worlds' recent purchases), but Intamin just doesn't have the leverage it used to have.

If you're really that down about Intamin not selling well in the US market, blame Intamin for not innovating or proving they can meet the standards that the B&M's and Mack's of the world have set.   

• Like 7

1 hour ago, BringBackOurEagles said:

Does it HAVE to be a B&M? I get that KD and CP are the closest Cedar Fair parks in either direction and they both have Intamin gigas (and we all know how the last of those two went), but I really don't understand having a B&M hyper and giga in the same park. I realize Carowinds just did it, but it makes no sense to me. Plus, these CF parks are all starting to get a little clone-y and there is nothing more clone-y to me than B&M. I get that they are reliable and consistent, but maybe for the 50th, Intamin will have pulled it together and we can get something unique and risky. I like that they made a slightly unconventional choice with Mystic Timbers (rough name and sure-to-be-underwhelming shed notwithstanding). Let's keep up that trend and build something weird and unique. Or if we're going out-and-back giga, at least let it be a wild Intamin ride. We already have a floater B&M

I think another reason that Cedar Fair is trying to stay away from Intamin is because when I-305 came out it received lots of complaints about being too intense. When you think about the Park's main focus are on the GP because they bring more cash. More people like the B&M(I do too) so I think as long as they do well Cedar Fair will keep on going to them for rides.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, silver2005 said:

Also, the big clearing created recently around Millennium Force where Rip Cord is going should be a good indicator of what CF thinks of Intamin right now.  

Totally. I get it. No one wants another shoot the rapids or i305 drop trim (come on!) or lift cable snap the list goes on and on. It's just such a shame Intamin can't get it together because their rides are so much freaking fun. Giga, strata, multi-launch, even woodie.  I'd go El Toro over any GCI but that's just me. And I think B&M is such a safe, boring choice, especially when they already have a hyper. I haven't had a chance to ride Leviathan or Fury, but do the gigas ride significantly differently than the hypers? I really don't see the value in having both in the same park, especially if we're talking about appeal for GP.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BringBackOurEagles said:

Totally. I get it. No one wants another shoot the rapids or i305 drop trim (come on!) or lift cable snap the list goes on and on. It's just such a shame Intamin can't get it together because their rides are so much freaking fun. Giga, strata, multi-launch, even woodie.  I'd go El Toro over any GCI but that's just me. And I think B&M is such a safe, boring choice, especially when they already have a hyper. I haven't had a chance to ride Leviathan or Fury, but do the gigas ride significantly differently than the hypers? I really don't see the value in having both in the same park, especially if we're talking about appeal for GP.

Yes, the hypers and gigas are quite different. Why are you bashing them when you haven't ridden them?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pkiknex25 said:

Yes, the hypers and gigas are quite different. Why are you bashing them when you haven't ridden them?

Not bashing them. Just curious. Their hypers are fun and floaty and I'm sure their gigas are a blast. Nothing like the power and roar of a B&M. And those two rides are getting insanely positive feedback, that's for sure. I have just ridden lots of Intamins and lots of B&M hypers and they obviously offer wildly different rides. Curious as to the justification in having two coasters in the same park that, to the GP at least, seem very similar.

4 hours ago, silver2005 said:

Also, Mack has pretty much caught up to Intamin in providing nearly every kind of coaster type Intamin offers and also has a better track record which has really boosted Mack in the European market.  

Mack is up there with the likes of B&M and RMC when it comes to innovation. Once more Mack rides start hitting the US, Intamin will be pretty much obsolete. 

• Like 3

On 2/22/2017 at 5:52 PM, chugh43 said:

But that'd suggest the track would be red....and.....well.....I'm tired of seeing red track at Cedar Fair parks!

White track, with red & black supports. Black track, with red and white supports. That's how I'd like to see it done. I do agree CF has a lot of red coasters.