"Man charged with raping 13-year-old at Kings Island"

SonofBaconator

I'm currently the same age as this girl. As a Male the chances of this happening to me is a little less but still possible. Kids my age seriously need to watch out, This is one of the reasons to this day I still don't use social media. It's a good thing but people need to watch the way the use it. I just think it isn't worth meeting anyone online.(Unless they're a KICentral member you know & trust :)) but back to a serious note. At least do a little research and if you do decide to see the person IRL, Go with a few friends or meet in a VERY public area where if the person decides to do anything stupid people we able to see you, And you can yell for attention.

• Like 10

Apparently this little girl and this man initially met at the park but she left unharmed because he wasn't who he said he was. However, later on they continued to chat on the app which lead to a second meeting where the girl split off from her group and tried to confront the man for lying to her and that's where things went south.

http://www.wlwt.com/article/man-charged-with-rape-unlawful-sexual-conduct-with-minor-at-kings-island/8658300

All you younger KIC members please listen to what I have to say.

I was fourteen when I started to go to Kings Island without parental supervision but I still had to check in with my mom every hour or so through text. I think teenagers need to be more aware about the dangers of meeting people online. I'm sure there's hundreds of cases just like these that haven't been reported yet. This little girl didn't even bring it up until the police found out this man was talking to her. The fact of the matter is that you can't trust anyone you meet online. For all you know, I could be a completely different person than what I have set my profile as on here and no one would know, though some of you know what I look like from running into me at the park every now and then.

Apps that are used to communicate with people are an extremely risky place to meet people; you don't see their face, you don't know what they look like, where they're from, or what they really want. If you have a messaging app that isn't Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram than you probably don't want your parents to read what you are saying otherwise you would be using your text feature on your phone. If people you don't know are messaging you on something other than on text than they probably don't want your parents reading it either. I'm not saying to not participate on forums like this one but I am saying to be careful. A lot of things, even things worse than rape, can result from meeting someone online.   

• Like 4

So sad to hear when things like this happen! I have students this age and we try our best to teach them to practice safe internet usage but sometimes horrible things like this still happen. I remember when I was in high school we took a trip to a local theater and a girl got up "went to the bathroom" but really went outside and got in a car with her over 18 "boyfriend" she was missing for two days after that. Also, I agree completely with younger children checking in w/ parents or guardians at the time etc. My brother is 16 and when I take him and a friend to KI, they often stay with me but if they want to go on their own I get permission from their parents if they can go off alone and I get check ins every hour and have them call their own parents periodically. That's probably a bit much, but I worry about them especially when they are in my care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SonofBaconator said:

Apparently this little girl and this man initially met at the park but she left unharmed because he wasn't who he said he was. However, later on they continued to chat on the app which lead to a second meeting where the girl split off from her group and tried to confront the man for lying to her and that's where things went south.

What. Why did she go back a second time?  Once she finds out this guy was lying I would have canceled all communications altogether. Instead, she goes back to "confront" him. I'm not saying this is her fault but this could have been prevented altogether if she decided to leave this dude alone, It's sad. Also, how did this man drag her to the woods, I'm thinking they meet close to the main entrance. So It could have been possible to get a little attention. Anyone have more Info about it. I'm trying to decode this situation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xdog42 said:

What. Why did she go back a second time?  Once she finds out this guy was lying I would have canceled all communications altogether. Instead, she goes back to "confront" him. I'm not saying this is her fault but this could have been prevented altogether if she decided to leave this dude alone, It's sad. Also, how did this man drag her to the woods, I'm thinking they meet close to the main entrance. So It could have been possible to get a little attention. Anyone have more Info about it. I'm trying to decode this situation. 

If she broke off from her friends it could have been anywhere. Kids like to think they're indestructable or want to show off and will do anything for it to happen. It's very sad that this did happen at KI and it could have been prevented. Please if anyone wants to meet up with anyone no matter where it's from tell someone who you're with, or better yet bring someone with you just to be safe. It's a dangerous world and with technology these days it is getting worse with predators

• Like 1

Here's another thing I was wondering. 1. Who else was she with that just let her branch off in the group by herself? Especially for a 13 year old. 2. Why on earth would she meet back up with him?! I wouldn't care if it was to confront him. If she already found out the truth about him, she should've just ended it right there. Whenever I branch off from my family at KI is when they're all sitting down to eat potato works in Rivertown and to take a break. They know I'm either going to Diamondback or The Beast. I also text them when I get to the ride, when I'm about to get off, and when I'm headed back. Even if I'm 16, I still have to let them know where I'm at.  lol

It's worth noting that amusement parks as a whole--and Kings Island is no exception--can be treated as and are treated as daycare services by some people. A pass is cheaper than a babysitter, and some people seem to think an amusement park is just as safe. It's not. Bad things happen at parks, too.

• Like 6

Different parents have different expectations. Some use KI as a summer baby sitter for their 11 year old as TRFTW mentioned. Something I would never do.  I didn't take my 11 year old to haunt this past year. Not because he was not ready to be there, but because I was afraid if we got separated on a midway I would not be able to find him easily. Although we many not agree with a parents decision on how they do things, the sole responsibly goes on the man who decided to do these things. This is something we should not have to worry about anywhere much less a park.

• Like 3

I've thought long and hard about something to say about this, and I've come up with many more questions than answers.

The first question to come to mind is this:

- Lowbrow Haunt entertainment

- Midget wrestling

- Steeply discounted tickets for much of the season

Have things like this devolved the park into attracting such crowds?  The park seems to think so.  How can one tell?  Look at the days that they choose to do metal detection vs the days they do not.  Notice how Father's Day, which is "bring a friend for $XX.99 day" ALWAYS has wanding, while a Sunday during October does not.  Is the safety of the guests a second rate to a slight bump in attendance?

Also, I've seen every major news outlet report on this.  The park?  Oddly silent about this.  

Questions like:

How could this happen at your park?

Is this an isolated incident?

What are you doing to prevent this from happening again?

...all await answers.   Does this minor league approach to adversity when it comes to public relations seemingly create more suspicion than appeasement? 

What about that poor, innocent , 13 year old girl whose life was forever changed?  Would it really be too much to say that you're sorry it happened?  Are you so immunized to the thoughts and feelings of the guests that when the most horrible thing that will ever happen in this girl's life happens on your property it does not constitute a comment?

And the real question is: when the park opens up this April, will those of you who are fathers and mothers  to teenage girls think that Kings Island is the same safe place that it was last Fall?  Will you allow your kids to wander alone there any longer?

I do not ask these questions out of conviction, I simply ask the questions that must be answered.

• Like 8

I've thought long and hard about something to say about this, and I've come up with many more questions than answers.
The first question to come to mind is this:
- Lowbrow Haunt entertainment
- Midget wrestling
- Steeply discounted tickets for much of the season
Have things like this devolved the park into attracting such crowds?  The park seems to think so.  How can one tell?  Look at the days that they choose to do metal detection vs the days they do not.  Notice how Father's Day, which is "bring a friend for $XX.99 day" ALWAYS has wanding, while a Sunday during October does not.  Is the safety of the guests a second rate to a slight bump in attendance?
Also, I've seen every major news outlet report on this.  The park?  Oddly silent about this.  
Questions like:
How could this happen at your park?
Is this an isolated incident?
What are you doing to prevent this from happening again?
...all await answers.   Does this minor league approach to adversity when it comes to public relations seemingly create more suspicion than appeasement? 
What about that poor, innocent , 13 year old girl whose life was forever changed?  Would it really be too much to say that you're sorry it happened?  Are you so immunized to the thoughts and feelings of the guests that when the most horrible thing that will ever happen in this girl's life happens on your property it does not constitute a comment?
And the real question is: when the park opens up this April, will those of you who are fathers and mothers  to teenage girls think that Kings Island is the same safe place that it was last Fall?  Will you allow your kids to wander alone there any longer?

I do not ask these questions out of conviction, I simply ask the questions that must be answered.

BoddaH1994, I back this 100%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

^^^ Wanding is only a small part of the park's security measures, and no amount of it would have stopped this individual.

An incident like this is tragic beyond words. As much as we like to think of Kings Island as a magical place, we must remember that nowhere is immune to evil that exists in the real world. The park, local police departments, and the entire community will need to work to prevent a similar situation from ever happening again.

This is a good time for us all to think about safety - at the park and elsewhere. Yell and get help if you see a dangerous situation. If you're meeting someone you don't know, be cautious and stay around other people. If you feel threatened, get away to a populated area and contact authorities.

Followers of the amusement park industry will note that accessible, secluded areas in parks have disappeared over the years. I would expect this trend to continue. Consider even changes to White Water Canyon's queue before last season.

• Like 5

Midget wrestling at KI?  I missed that. Really?  I thought that was strip club and biker bar stuff.  

This is the first I have heard of this and only read the report in the OP.  A bit confused over BoddaH1194's comments and questions more than anything.  Scratching my head on how the park could possibly had anything to do with this or done anything to prevent this.  Razor wire fencing around all park owned property not in a direct line of sight from security personnel?  That is a standard I don't think this society wants or can possibly achieve.  Again, sorry if I misunderstand your thoughts.  As I said, I am confused.  

Several people have asked (paraphrasing) "Once she knew he was lying why did she go back and meet him again?"  She likely had formed an emotional attachment to him.  That's what predators do.  They manipulate.  They groom.  

Chris, it appears this is just coming out now because a) he was just charged b.) the victim did not report the incident, she was sought out by investigators after they discovered his contact with her while investigating an unrelated matter.  

In Boy Scouts we adhear to the Buddy System. We can operate in some rather isolated areas.  You don't go anywhere without a buddy. Never.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, King Ding Dong said:

Midget wrestling at KI?  I missed that. Really?  I thought that was strip club and biker bar stuff.

It was Halloween Haunt "entertainment" for two years (I think 2011 and 2012, but I might be off by one year). They had a WWE-style ring set up in the center of the Festhaus with four "shows" every night by the Half Pint Brawlers group. I made a point of staying away; when my group chose to watch one of the shows, I chose to leave them and go off on my own for half an hour and meet back up with them afterward.

• Like 1

The danger is everywhere. This happens because predators are sharply "skilled" at what they do, and they apparently possess a sick passion for their crime that overrides any fear of capture or punishment. They're masters of deception, and are generally convinced (or will try to convince you), after they're caught, that they are "doing nothing wrong." This is what we face in the struggle to protect our kids.

• Like 3

On 2/1/2017 at 11:22 PM, malem said:

Followers of the amusement park industry will note that accessible, secluded areas in parks have disappeared over the years. I would expect this trend to continue. Consider even changes to White Water Canyon's queue before last season.

I completely agree and there are still tons of spots around the park where people can go unseen. I think people have to stay vigilent and report anything suspicious to park personnel. 

Ok so first and foremost this is absolutely beyond terrible. Second, in my opinion, there is no punishment in our judicial system that is fitting enough for these type of crimes. I wish I had been there to catch it, even though I would have been banned from KI for the rest of my life, it would have been worth it. Now third, as a single father of a 10 and 8 year old girl I strongly feel that parents need to be more aware of what goes on with their kids. If you are giving any kid under the age of 18 access to social media or the internet then its your responsibility as a parent to monitor those things. It seems now a days too many parents use parks and electronics (among other things) as babysitters or to entertain their kids just to get themselves some "free time". Others have already said it but ill say it again, unfortunately the world we live in today is riddled with sick individuals capable of many different things and no where is "safe". Its important to convey this to our kids in a way that doesnt taint their look on life or make them scared to live life but in a way to make them aware of the importance of the rules we give them and things we teach them. Whether it be rules like buddy systems or check ins at public places or life lessons like "dont talk to strangers". I would rather my girls be annoyed, embarassed, or even mad with me for being too "nosey" or "over-protective" then to ever see something like this happen to them.  I monitor anything my girls do whether it be internet or the 10 yr olds phone activity. That would go the same if they were boys, its a part of parenting. 

• Like 3