Car fires at Mickey & Friends garage at Disneyland

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-fire-disneyland-20170213-story.html

4 cars destroyed, 4 heavily damaged, several others with minor damage. 7 employees treated for smoke inhalation. No word yet on how this all started but my guess is it started with a single vehicle catching fire and just spread to the others around it. Fortunately nobody was seriously injured. I do feel sorry for those whose vehicles were involved though.

From a professional standpoint, parking garage fires suck. You never get just one car, since they are in close proximity, it's always at least 3 and usually more than that.

They are personnel and labor intensive to deal with. Getting hoses and equipment where it needs to be always takes longer than it should and you can never really access all the parts of the car you want. They usually don't have sprinkler systems since they are outdoor environments. You're lucky if they have a standpipe.

8 cars, would probably involve enough personnel for a 2 alarm structure fire. You also have to worry about weakening concrete falling after fire exposure. The moisture in it causes it to explode and fall apart as the heat expands the moisture, something firefighters call spalling.

I'd say they were lucky enough to get enough people quickly to put it out and limit it to just 8 vehicles.

There are many garages around Cincinnati where a quick extinguishment just wouldn't be possible.

• Like 4