Proposed park in Casa Grande, AZ to rival WDW.

Being that I just came back from a trip "out west" to AZ and CA, I thought this was a timely article.  If it happens, it would give me another reason to visit friends in the Valley of the Sun!

http://www.pinalcentral.com/casa_grande_dispatch/area_news/developers-looking-to-build-the-next-disney-world-in-casa/article_13c3cfce-31d9-5a0c-92f6-2706a5326fb5.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=user-share

• Like 2

I understand that Disney World is the most visited resort on the planet and people want to make big claims.  But they are no where near the same position Disney was in 50 years ago.  To make that claim is crazy.  Disney had an already popular resort, a collection of properties to base attractions on, existing ride designs which were unique in the industry, money, and very importantly a weekly TV show that allowed the company to show off its new park to the entire country.

I wish them luck and it is good seeing a company try to build a new park.  To my knowledge there are no large theme parks in Arizona currently.  But it is very difficult to build new parks today.  

• Like 1

I'm thinking maybe they mean a comparison to Disney in that it will have a variety of things and be almsot like a city unto itself that caters to tourists and visitors. They talk about an amusement park, water park, shopping areas, resorts/hotels, animal habitats/zoo type park, as well as residential and commercial property. So I don't think they mean a direct comparison to Disney in being a mjor multi park tourist spot (at least to mean sounds very little like a direct cmparison or copy of WDW) but in that it will   have a wide variety of things. 

Liek WDW has it's theme parks with Animal Kingdom being an animal habitat type place and not jsut a standard park, shopping district, water parks, entertainment centers, resorts, etc. Plus they do have some residential areas around it, mostly for staff though. So in the sense of offerings it would be favorable to compare in that sense, but will liekly not hold a candle as far as parks themselves go to Disney.

• Like 1

I'll believe it when it's about 95% done and they've announced an opening date. Hopefully they'll have better luck than good ol' DreamVision Mountain!

http://www.dallasobserver.com/arts/whatever-happened-to-that-fort-worth-theme-park-project-8951620

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO6u23rdD-s

Edited by Delirium13
  • Like 1

I can kind of see this working out.  Arizona and Phoenix is an untapped market with no real competition nearby in terms of amusement parks, though, being in the middle of a desert isn't so attractive.  I am also concerned about how this will affect water consumption in the area if they're going to create a lot of green spaces.

More details were released tonight.  I haven't had a chance to digest it, but the storyboard looks interesting.  On page 14, there is an upscale lodge that looks like GWL with totem poles instead of wolves.

I'd have to question the wisdom of locating a water intensive park of this scale in this location, even if grey water is used where appropriate.  But then again, California uses an incredible amount of water and most of the state is in a desert climate.

http://www.azfamily.com/story/34578951/developer-proposes-disney-like-theme-park-for-casa-grande?autostart=true

Development plans aside, this area is too stinking hot to draw huge summer tourist crowds.  Families travel in the Summer and Summer temperatures in Casa Grande average well over 100 degrees starting at the end of May through September.  Mmmm yes I would like to take my family vacation to the Desert in August when its 108 degrees and go walk around a theme park.  

There is a reason this market remains untapped and underdeveloped when it comes to large Amusement/Theme Parks - it is too stinking hot during prime Summer travel months.

• Like 4

Railrider, yes and no.  When I lived in Chandler, it was, on average, about 5 degrees warmer than Casa Grande, due to the heat island effect.  I urged people to visit in the winter, but summer visitors raved about the dry heat--"This feels so much better than (KY, TN, etc).  As a resident, I wouldn't touch the park in August, but would revel in it in the winter months. 

I think if it were marketed correctly, and had a mixture of atrractions and  amenities for residents and tourists alike, it could work.  I'm just concerned about the HUGE water requirements.

• Like 1