Flight Commander

Kawana

Does anyone think we'll ever see another ride like Flight Commander. I only rode it once, but I thougt is was neat that you could choose how the ride went. I know someone died trying to switch seats or something like that, but I thought it was a unique ride to KI. Did the death have anything to do with the ride's closure?

Did the death have anything to do with the ride's closure?

Not directly, but it was closed temporarily for awhile, and they changed the restraint system and fixed it so that the cars could no longer go completly upside down. So that based on the fact that someone died on it popularity of the ride decreased so it was ultimatly closed.

Actually they never changed the fact the cars couldn't go completely upside down. What they did change however was the fact if you let go of the controller while upside down you would automatically return to the up right position. I loved Flight Commander it was a good ride.

it never surprised me that someone fell out, I felt like I was going to fall out of it, granted I rode it with a lunatic, and I know the person that fell out was acting right, but it freaked me out.

I don't think thats fair to say, tons of people have said it feels like they will fall out of Firehawk but it will never happen as long as you follow the safety precautions. The deaths on Flight Commander at KI and Shokewave and Dropzone at KD were because people wiggled their way out of their restraints not because there was an actual possiblity of "falling out".

The death that occurred on the Drop Zone ride did NOT happen on the Kings Dominion Drop Zone. (Kings Dominion did not even have a Drop Zone at the time of the incident. The incident occurred on the Drop Zone at Paramount`s Great America in August of 1999. Kings Island`s Drop Zone was closed for a week or so after that incident. The following season, seat belts were added to Kings Island`s Drop Zone.

The death that occurred on the Drop Zone ride did NOT happen on the Kings Dominion Drop Zone. (Kings Dominion did not even have a Drop Zone at the time of the incident. The incident occurred on the Drop Zone at Paramount`s Great America in August of 1999. Kings Island`s Drop Zone was closed for a week or so after that incident. The following season, seat belts were added to Kings Island`s Drop Zone.

Whoops my bad

Seat belts across your lap, or between your legs to keep the OTSR fastened? I must've missed the seat belts if they're across your lap. Hmmm.....

Actually people still rode Flight Commander when it reopened. Was it as popular probably not. 1995 was the last season for Flight Commander. Any remember the sign that said, watch for a new attraction "dropping in" in 1997? During the 1996 season. Rumor has it, we were supposed to have got Drop Zone in 1997, granted if we did it probably would have not been a gyro drop.

Actually people still rode Flight Commander when it reopened. Was it as popular probably not. 1995 was the last season for Flight Commander. Any remember the sign that said, watch for a new attraction "dropping in" in 1997? During the 1996 season. Rumor has it, we were supposed to have got Drop Zone in 1997, granted if we did it probably would have not been a gyro drop.

I sitll rode Flight Commander after it reopened. I always kind of liked the ride.

Are there any functioning versions of the Flight Commander model in operation anymore? Was it made by Huss, Chance, or someone else?

I was never real wild about it...seems like I always rode with someone who enjoyed going upside down and staying there! :) I've never been wild about being suspended upside down...the same reason I think the full rotating versions of rides like Viking Fury are the scariest rides there are!! :o

I want a new version of Flight Commander to come back to KI.

They could put it in X-Base.

I would have liked to have had a chance to ride flight commander. I love rides that go upside down and stay that way for awhile. I hope they do bring back a ride like FC. It seems that the original didn't receive a fair deal.

If I didn't hold on when I ride Tomb Raider I could fall out. My hips slip right through, but my logic tells me to hold on and that's what I do and I'm fine. I will ride it again and again. (It makes me laugh so hard) I love that thing.

As far as FC goes, they should bring it back. (I want to ride it too)

I agree with you, they should put in a new one. ;)

Odette

And if you really feel the need to go upside and stay that way, go to Coney Island and ride the Rock-O-Planes. That thing is far superior to Flight Commander in every conceivable way. The same can be said of Sky Diver at Camden Park.

And no, you aren't going to fall out of Tomb Raider, whether or not you hold on. And you are virtually certain to fall out in the almost impossible event that the restraint fails, whether you hold on or not.

• Like 1

• 8 years later...

• Like 3

I remember that sign at FC's pad as well. I don't remember the specific wording but I remember being excited that we'd get a Drop Tower ride like Kentucky Kingdom had, on that same pad. I assume it didn't go there because of the bedrock issues that Terp pointed out, but then again WindSeeker is pretty dang close to there so who knows. Maybe the incident at KK had something to do with it as well.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

• Like 1