Food and Drink Prices

Kman6

How many people would be willing to pay between $1.50 to $2.00 for drinks instead of the prices they are charging this year? I almost never purchase anything there. The mark-up on these items are

outrageous. They could make more profit on volume other than sticking it to their customers. If they were in a more reasonable range I`d probably spend my money on drinks throughout the day. It would be a win-win situation for all in my opinion. Also I never eat there anymore..to many places within miles of the park to eat at a much better price. How about $1 drinks in the Coke machines like the ones at Wal-Mart. Any opinions?

Last year, Cedar Point cut prices on food and drink across the park. Volume increased but just enough to produce the same net profit, or so we are told. Per caps raised but net profit stayed virtually the same.

CBS had dramatically raised food and drink prices at the Paramount Parks, and per caps fell a bit, but net profit was actually more. So, Mr. Kinzel said this year the Cedar Fair parks would be following the CBS strategy of higher prices, even if volume falls a bit. Only if net profit declines will you perhaps see a decrease in pricing levels.

I, like you, think they have overdone it. Still, I see tons of people in line to pay the prices they are charging. I do think that when food and drink cost less in high cost New Jersey at Great Adventure (which pays its employees far more than Kings Island does), something is terribly wrong. Only if the public balks at these prices will you see anything change....

I also am very UNimpressed at the quality of both food and service that Cedar Fair delivers for the prices charged. The ONLY exceptions I have seen are at the chains like Starbucks, Johnny Rockets and Panda Express. I do NOT include Skyline in this, as the Skyline food I have purchased at Kings Island this year has been decidedly subpar.

I should also add that the food service workers I have encountered at Kings Island have been, almost without exception, at best bored and at worst apathetic about their jobs. I have never seen such glum, sad looking people working in any other park in all my borned days. Something isn't right in the food service department at Kings Island.

Something isn't right in the food service department at Kings Island.

This is very true. I've only eaten once at KI this year and that was because I was staring after waiting all day for Firehawk to open so I was so hungry I didn't mind paying $10 for a bacon cheeseburger and a drink. The past 2 times I left to park to go to McDonald's and Frisch's, respectively. Every other time I've packed a lunch and ate in the parking lot.

Prices are getting quite crazy these days. Do they still do the small free cups of water? When I went to KI I would live off of those free cups of water. I'd get water pretty much after every ride, and it did wonders.

As for leaving to get food, its too much work IMHO. You have to walk all the way to the gate, leave your parking spot (and usually I'm early enough to park right by the gate), and go eat. Then you have to come back, find a new parking spot, etc. That's just my opinion though. Maybe I'm just lazy.

Packing a lunch sounds enjoyable (and cheap). I should try that.

Yes, they still have free ice water at the stands (but not the walk-up carts). Same at Cedar Point. I've never seen any park anywhere charge for water (other than bottled water...which is suddenly becoming less fashionable in big cities...go figure). Heat exhaustion being a serious possibility, I doubt any would. I HAVE seen parks remove water fountains....

I HAVE seen parks remove water fountains....

Do what now? Where?

Not ALL water fountains, but many of them. Early in the old Gary Story Six Flags days, most water fountains were removed from many Six Flags. You may also remember there used to be large, nearly communal water fountains throughout Cedar Point, most notably in front of the restrooms by Magnum. They have been replaced with far fewer fountains.

Also note that nearly all Kings Island's water fountains serve CHILLED water (and the restrooms have hot water). At Cedar Point, a water fountain with a chiller that works (or even a drain that isn't stopped up) is somewhat of a rarity. And you won't find hot water (or paper towels) in any Cedar Point restroom, at least to my knowledge.

Last time i went to KI, i brung $20 so i could buy an old map.

Later that day i became very very thirtsy so i bought a Vault for $3.25???

So i now had $16.75, i went to just about all the gift shops at KI to look for an old map. I found one [The Emporium] and they had a 1991 and 1972 map, but not for sell. So i found a cool tee-shirt that had all the roller coasters and thrill rides on it for $16.00 so i took it to the counter and it came up at like $17.20 or something. I didn'y have enough inso i left the park disapointed and starving/thirsty [i starved my self to get a map, which they didn't have and i didn't have enough money for the shirt.]

$3.25 for a small bottle of Vault is outrageous! I mean i know it's a theme park so prices are higher, but over 2-3$ is too much.

I should also add that the food service workers I have encountered at Kings Island have been, almost without exception, at best bored and at worst apathetic about their jobs. I have never seen such glum, sad looking people working in any other park in all my borned days. Something isn't right in the food service department at Kings Island.

Have you ever eaten at Bubba Gumps?

I'd say we're usually pretty enthusiastic B)

• Like 1

I'd agree with that. I ate there on my last trip two years ago and was really impressed with both the service and the food there. The way the staff greets you when you walk in is great and they were very friendly the whole time I was there. The food was a whole lot better than I was expecting it to be as well and I'll probably be stopping in again on my trip next week.

If nothing else, Kings Island has made ANYWHERE else I eat seem like a bargain. It is kind of a running joke with me and my family, if we are in a resteraunt that we "think" is expensive, one of us will eventually say something like "Yeah, it does seem high, but think what this would cost at Kings Island!"

My family USED to leave the park to get something to eat ALL the time "back in the day"...but then 1 trip we just decided to eat in the park and found out it wasn't that bad price wise...so for YEARS we haven't left the park to eat. Guess what. After going once this year and seeing the continuing rising prices we have decided to leave the park to eat on our next trip. I love the park but enough is enough.

Another slight pet peave of mine is that the park loves to call it's customers "guests" because it sounds friendly and inviting, yet with prices like these they should call us cattle. I am amazed how many people actually get into a frame of mind that just because a lot of other kinds of places charge high food/drink prices that it is acceptable. I have even seen people post that you are paying for the PRIVELEGE of not having to leave the park. (A picture of fraternity hazing entered my mind when I read that one..."Thankyou Sir, may I have another!")

I hope the park eventually sees that even if by lowering the food prices they MAY not make more overall profit, the guests are happier and come back more frequently...and recommend the park to other people. I know...dream on!

I am amazed how many people actually get into a frame of mind that just because a lot of other kinds of places charge high food/drink prices that it is acceptable. I have even seen people post that you are paying for the PRIVELEGE of not having to leave the park. (A picture of fraternity hazing entered my mind when I read that one..."Thankyou Sir, may I have another!")

I hope the park eventually sees that even if by lowering the food prices they MAY not make more overall profit, the guests are happier and come back more frequently...and recommend the park to other people. I know...dream on!

This is very true. Even though many people on here complain about the prices, more people that don't have season passes are lining up for food because they only go once or twice. So it's probably very unlikely that prices will go down anytime soon. Just like Aerosmith, I will dream on...

That there is the key. As long as guests are lining up and paying for the food prices the way they are, Cedar Fair is bringing in money and has no motivation to lower the food prices. However, the moment people stop buying food and drinks and Cedar Fair`s profits take a dip, then they might reconsider their food pricing strategy.

^Exactly...it's a market support issue. As long as the market supports the prices, CF will continue to charge them. (And, they'd be stupid not to...) As soon as the volume of sales fall enough that it negatively impacts profitability, the prices will drop. (And, perhaps they're close to that point already.) It's the eternal quest to obtain the perfect supply & demand curve...

Keep in mind that it may be more profitable to sell one Coke for $3 than it is to sell four Cokes for $1 each. While the revenue may be higher, so are the cost of sales, so sometimes you can make more by selling less at a higher price. (I've always loved the topic of yield management :) )

In 2003, I ate dinner at Coasters at CP. A burger, fries, and a drink were nearly $15.00. Absolutely ridiculous! I ate at TGI Friday's the day after, and it taste better and was cheaper too!

Now, I don't find the food is so expensive as the drinks. I was at CP over the weekend (TR coming), and was floored by the price of drinks!

• 2 weeks later...

On my last trip I noticed that there was hardly anyone in Festhaus and no one at Happy Days or Bubba Gumps. I can remember having to wait in line at lunch time in them places. I think the new prices are starting to show their results.

I mostly don't care about the prices but I can't justify it anymore when you can drive down the road and get better food for much less.

When we at at Fethaus, our meal seemed to be cheaper than expected. Basically, it was 3 burgers, fries, and drinks for $24. Even more strange, the guy at the register didn't seem to ring it up. We got to wondering if he was pocketing some of the money. Oh well, the food was good.

This is very true. I've only eaten once at KI this year and that was because I was staring after waiting all day for Firehawk to open so I was so hungry I didn't mind paying $10 for a bacon cheeseburger and a drink. The past 2 times I left to park to go to McDonald's and Frisch's, respectively. Every other time I've packed a lunch and ate in the parking lot.

And this is one of the major reasons why Cedar Fair is looking for someone to invest in them. They are hurting for money because they have priced themselves almost out of the market. People are bringing their food more often to the parks, because they can't afford $4 drinks, as they are at Cedar Point. They can't afford $15 buffet meals at Kings Island, especially when the quality of the food is less than superb, which also is a problem with Cedar Point's buffet. Instead of going out and trying to find someone to buy them out and let them keep ehancing these problems, they need to listen to their customers and solve the problem accordingly. They would make a lot more money if the product they were presenting was much more affordable. Heck, Holiday World doesnt charge at all for drinks, and you don't hear about them hurting for money!

I walked into Bubba Gumps to get a Free cup of water and everyone yells "welcome to Bubbbba Gummmps" :lol:

• 8 months later...

I am hearing rumblings that the two major park chains who operate regional seasonal parks in the USA are strongly considering taking opposite approaches to food and drink pricing this year....with one of them not raising any of the food or drink prices and even slightly lowering some of them and the other considering drastic increases in pricing...with the thought being that fewer people will be attending many parks this year, and price increases are necessary to maintain per caps. Neither has set the pricing in stone, and both will doubtless consider changes in strategy as the season goes forward...

Guest kwindshawne

And this is one of the major reasons why Cedar Fair is looking for someone to invest in them. They are hurting for money because they have priced themselves almost out of the market. People are bringing their food more often to the parks, because they can't afford $4 drinks, as they are at Cedar Point. They can't afford $15 buffet meals at Kings Island, especially when the quality of the food is less than superb, which also is a problem with Cedar Point's buffet. Instead of going out and trying to find someone to buy them out and let them keep ehancing these problems, they need to listen to their customers and solve the problem accordingly. They would make a lot more money if the product they were presenting was much more affordable. Heck, Holiday World doesnt charge at all for drinks, and you don't hear about them hurting for money!

I got a pretzel during haunt that I could have played baseball with it...I only got it cause I was desparate....never again!!!!

For many years, Baskin Robbins used to use this slogan, which appeared on the walls of its ice cream shoppes:

"The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten"

Unfortunately, Kings Island food service leaves many guests at the end of the day remembering the bitternesses of poor quality AND high price, along with astoundingly apathetic food SERVICE, in all too many instances.

I walked into Bubba Gumps to get a Free cup of water and everyone yells "welcome to Bubbbba Gummmps" :lol:

That was me and I don't work there...lmaooooooooooooooooooooo

Hey, you can sit by the entrance....lol

However with the prices of food and drink at the park I guess over the years I adopted that good ole philosophy of "It is what it is". I hate paying those prices but not a whole lot I can do about it to change the parks mind on pricing things. Wonder what the price hike will look like this year?! I spend a lot of money at the park every time I go, guess its time to start going outside the park for lunch and dinner at this point.

I haven't ate in the park very often, to be fair. I usually just leave the park, and go eat at a neighboring restaurant, either at the Kings Island exit, or at Kings Mills, and then go back to the park. Not that I would ever recommend that someone actually attempt this who is unfamiliar with the area. The Kings Mills exit, at the wrong time of day, can almost be as bad as Gainesville Florida. ( Almost )